Theme: Romance | Sub theme: Stepbrother | Is there sex? Yep
Rating: 4/5 | Verdict: Good listen
- If you're looking for incest, this isn't it. They met late teens, and for me, that doesn't really count. You won't need to worry about being all iffy about incest with this book.
- It starts out pretty light-- it has the old-fashioned 'teenage rivals scenario' which got me to pick up the audiobook in the first place. Read on though, and it goes a few levels deeper that will hit you right there-- in a surprisingly good way.
- I did have this feeling that some scenes and phases were roughly sewn together. Some transitions and characters just came a little out of nowhere.
- It has its predictable and mushy parts, but you'll forgive her for that.
- I see a tattooed guy on the cover, and I pick that out, I wonder why? O_o
Audiobook Voice: Quite good, it has a girl narrator for all parts. The boy part can be better but it was still alright. (Side note, the whole time I thought the boy protagonist's name was 'Alec' instead of 'Elec'.)
You’re not supposed to want the one who torments you.
When my stepbrother, Elec, came to live with us my senior year, I wasn’t prepared for how much of a jerk he’d be.
I hated that he took it out on me because he didn’t want to be here.
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room.
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him.
At first, I thought all he had going for him were his rock-hard tattooed abs and chiseled face. Then, things started changing between us, and it all came to a head one night.
Just as quickly as he’d come into my life, he was gone back to California.
It had been years since I’d seen Elec.
When tragedy struck our family, I’d have to face him again.
And holy hell, the teenager who made me crazy was now a man that drove me insane.
I had a feeling my heart was about to get broken again.
Spoilery Afterthoughts (Read more after you have read the book, and comment if you agree about any of them!):
- 'Elec' and 'Greta'. I was thinking this whole time why they had such terrible sounding names, then I realized it was so their names can form the anagram 'Let's Cereal'. I don't know about you, but I think the author was a little 'trying too hard' with that one.
- I've always loved books where I can hear both parts of the narrative, so the surprise 'Elec side of the story' was definitely a plus!
- I think they fell for each other a little too hard, too fast. I would have loved more developments in their 'rival part' of the story.
- The painful chaste kiss they had at the airport was the one that really did it for me. >_< *faints*
- Initially I thought there were a bunch of unneeded events mentioned in the story, but I guess in the end the author was able to sew them together somehow that didn't leave you thinking like something didn't fit.